Now a little fact about me, I LOVE to bake! Whenever I am stressed, or just need a break from things I will get my apron on and start baking some treats. I find it so therapeutic and at the end you get a delicious treat to eat! Yum yummm!! So on this blog you will see LOTS of baking! Some will be my own recipes (don’t expect too much!) and others will be from my well-used recipe books.
I love a lemon drizzle, and I would probably go as far as saying it is my favourite cake!!! This cake is perfect for when you have family or friends visiting, as it is a classic and everybody will enjoy it. This recipe is from Tanya Burr’s book “Tanya Bakes”, and this recipe makes a moist and zingy cake!
You will need:
- 22cm loaf tin
- 170g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 2 lemons
- 150g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- juice of 2 lemons
Ok, lets do some baking!
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/GM4. Lightly grease the loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar (The lighter and fluffier the better!). Then mix in the eggs.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and lemon zest and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and a skewer poked into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Now to make the drizzle, you sift the icing sugar into a bowl and mix with the lemon juice until smooth and the sugar has dissolved. While the loaf is still warm, poke holes into it with a skewer and pour over the drizzle.
- Leave to cool in the tine, and then turn out onto a plate and serve, dusted with icing sugar.
Let me know what your favourite cake is!